Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wiring Harness (2/2)

In the last two weeks:
I made a spreadsheet to document all plugs on the harness, their purpose, wire colors/styles and locations.
I removed a couple wires altogether once I double-checked they weren't in use.
I re-routed front instrument, light, and handle-bar harness plugs into the tank.
I routed the wiring harness into the tank area (was just exterior of the tank previously).
I added plug (male) for front blinkers.
I replaced one five-way and one six-way splice each with a home-made distribution blocks.
I tightened and dipped the distribution blocks in rubber.
I replaced almost all cheap and dirty splices in the harness with insulated butt-connectors.
I replaced the fuse holder on the positive wire of the 12v side of the DC-to-DC converter.

There is still a portion of the wiring harness that seems destined to be what I can only call a "bird's nest". I've had instincts to sort it out further, but the cost/benefit analysis tells me I shouldn't bother. The benefit of having organized wiring is countered by time, cost, added inefficiency.

To wrap this up, I need to:
  • Add plug (female) for the front blinkers to plug into harness
  • Mount "winker" module in a new location.
  • Additionally, what started this whole wiring harness tangent was the tail-light wiring, which still remains.
  • Attach and protect wiring harness under the tank.
  • Inspect for any bad, missing connections.
  • Clean up wires with convoluted hose and nylon holders.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - Don't hesitate to ask me about the bike!