Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tail Light Fabrication (1/5)

I was able to do some metal work recently for mounting the tail light. My goal is to make it compact and clean looking, yet strong and easy to assemble.

Using 16 gauge weld steel, I've made a bracket and a body panel, so to speak. The bracket will give me a reasonably easy place to attach the body panel, which in turn, should hold all of the lights, license plate, red reflector, and a plastic tab for the inspection sticker.

Strength shouldn't be an issue, there's neither a lot of weight nor leverage to worry about. I've thought, measured, mocked-up, and stared at it a great deal and this is the most compact and clean solution I could devise. I've got some plastic for concealing or cleaning up anything once I've got the metal bits mounted and shaped.

Here's the body panel at the moment. I'll have to finish cutting out a whole for the tail light (stenciled), bend the sides in to match the width of the seat back, and shave down the corners quite a bit.


I've been planning on painting it black, but it occurred to me today that white might be appropriate and look amazing.
-Colby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - Don't hesitate to ask me about the bike!