Sunday, February 1, 2009

First things first

I'm starting this blog specifically for my electric motorcycle project.
I hope it will serve as a good record of the amount of time and effort invested.

So far, I've been concentrating on researching other electric vehicles (EVs), specifically motorcycles (eMotos). I read whatever I come across concerning EVs at least once. I browse the EVAlbum and EV part suppliers. I investigate how each individual component works and also how they inter-operate.

The basic goals of my project are:
  1. Produce a relatively simple and cheap vechicle for commuting to work on any acceptable day.
  2. Complete a reliably working EV
  3. Duplicate (and perhaps improve upon) an already proven platform.
Goal #1 is pretty straightforward. I want a fun and cheap mode of transportation to and from work on nice days.

Goal #2 is a personal accomplishment thing. I want to prove I can plan, figure out, build, complete, and operate daily an EV.

Goal #3 is how I hope to accomplish goal #1 and #2. You see, someone already did what I am trying to do, so I'm definitely taking some cues from his project and how it turned out. It doesn't hurt that that guy has a mechanical engineering degree from MIT and has made public his well documented project. I'm not trying to 1-up him by making a better bike, and I'm not trying to steal anything from him either.

The EV community as I understand it is all about sharing ideas, techniques, lessons, technical information, and even expensive components, so as to further the interest and awareness of the field. The field is not new, however, as some of the first vehicles were electric, back in the early 1900s, so I suppose I would have to say the field has simply seen a large growth in interest in the last 10 to 15 years.

I will try to keep a running tab of my efforts, document my findings, explain my decisions, and publish my experience for the education, assistance, and general interest of others and myself.
-Colby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - Don't hesitate to ask me about the bike!